op. 1154 (1906 – 2000)
Designed in 1903 by the Turin based organ builder Carlo Vegezzi Bossi, the organ in the concert hall of the Filarmonica was terminated in 1907. The installation test on May 18 1907 was completed by two of the most illustrious Italian organists: Marco Enrico Bossi and Giuseppe Terrabugio. It was an instrument with pneumatic transmission through 2 manuals which followed the phonic orientation then sustained by the Caecilian Movement. The organ was mounted onto the back wall of the hall, sustained by a specific choir with a beautiful façade of 105 sounding pipes divided into three pyramids, still in the same position today.
The instrument was mainly used by the organ class of the musical school of the Filarmonica and then for the evening concerts. The destruction of the big bay windows of the concert hall during the bombing of Trento in World War 2 took away any protection of the instrument, exposing it directly to the external surroundings. Strong winds, smoke, water and pieces of plaster provoked a heavy deterioration of the organ, of the mechanical part as well as of the phonic parts. Once the war was over, the organ teacher Don Attilio Bormioli begged the Municipality more than once to intervene. On May 17, 1957 the organ builders Mascioni declared the phonic part as repairable, but the mechanical part had to be reconstructed completely.
Following the new aesthetic fashion in organ art, it was decided not to recover the original organ but to build a new one for didactic purposes only, to be used in the School of Music, in a dedicated room. Today this organ is used by the Conservatory. Functionless and without its console the old Vegezzi Bossi remained in the concert hall with only its splendid facade of pipes, mute until 2000 when it was completely restored by Mascioni of Cuvio.
Via Giuseppe Verdi, 30
P. IVA 00505780221